Tuesday, 7 December 2010

Heart condition

'Artistic differences' might have delayed pop punk Good Charlotte's fifth album but it was good news for the Madden brothers, writes Paula Yeoman.
Good Charlotte went back to Don Gilmore to rediscover their musical roots. Photo / Supplied

Good Charlotte went back to Don Gilmore to rediscover their musical roots. Photo / Supplied

It has been 14 years since Joel Madden and his twin brother Benji formed Good Charlotte in the garage of their Maryland home. That's practically a lifetime in the here-today, gone-tomorrow world of pop. Yet on their fifth album, Cardiology, the 31-year-old Madden brothers are sounding more youthful than ever.
It's all thanks to an artistic tiff with former producer Howard Benson (My Chemical Romance) in which the twins scrapped the entire first recording of the album and started again. "We listened to a song that was really important to us, called 1979, and he'd butchered it - chopped out an entire verse," explains Joel. It didn't even sound like us as far as I was concerned. It wasn't warm, it was kind of mechanical. So we went back to Don Gilmore, who produced our first album and started over.
We just started enjoying music again."
These days Madden attracts more headlines as "Mr Richie" - partner of one-time wild child Nicole Richie, dad to 3-year-old Harlow and 1-year-old Sparrow and son-in-law of Motown legend Lionel Richie - than he does as the pop-punkster from Good Charlotte.
But if he's frustrated that his private life makes better reading than his music, he's not letting on. In fact, he credits 29-year-old Richie, whom he's rumoured to be marrying soon, for driving his career on.
"I have a great partner. She has my back. I can go and work and I know everything at home is taken care of. I'm very lucky to have that. If I didn't, I couldn't do this. There's no way I could be out here and at ease and at peace."
He's equally as glowing about his famous father-in-law.
"I love Lionel. He's one of my best friends. He's a great father figure.
"He's always there. He's got so much information because he's seen it all. I'm just lucky to have that guy in my life."
Good Charlotte's fifth album, Cardiology, is out now. The band plays at the V8 Supercars ITM400 in Hamilton on April 17 next year.
By Paula Yeoman  
Source: nzherald.co.nz  

No comments:

Post a Comment